Our History

In 1772, organized by the Fairforest Church, Boiling Springs meeting house between Highway 9 and Lawson’s Fork, Spartanburg County started. Reverend Phillip Mulkey became its pastor.

In 1842, a larger meeting building was built.

In 1874, it was replaced.

During this time period, Rev. Jesse Ouzts served for a twenty year period.  Then, in 1916, the Rev. J.E. Edwards became pastor, and a parsonage at 1931 Old Furnace Road was purchased.

Sunday School classes were added to the existing building in 1938.

On January 11, 1942, we moved into the first brick sanctuary which is located at the corner of Hwy. 9 and Hames Rd.

The three story Sunday School building was completed in 1954, and named the Joseph G. Wood Educational Building.

A new two story educational building was completed in 1964.

Springs Christian Day School was established in 1965 by Boiling Springs First Baptist Church and Dr. James Crocker. Directed by Mrs. Evelyn B. Henderson, the school was founded as “Boiling Springs First Baptist Kindergarten.”

The migrant mission program began in 1961, with the Spanish speaking workers coming in to harvest the peach crops. This ministry was recognized by the South Carolina Baptist Convention in 1976 as the first church-based migrant ministry.

The first mission church was organized in 1959 as Crossroads Baptist Mission which was located at the crossroads of Highway 9 and Shoally Creek Road. Reverend Troy Wayne Petty served as Pastor. In 1965, the mission was organized and became Northbrook Baptist Church, with 109 charter members.

In 1972, at the recommendations of Dr Davis and Dr. Campbell, the church voted to add the word “First” to its name, thus becoming Boiling Springs First Baptist Church.

Easter Sunday, April 15, 1979 the $1.5 million dollar sanctuary and office complex became a reality. On the first Sunday in the new sanctuary, attendance in the worship service was over 1400.

A new family life center was dedicated on July 27,1980.

In 1992, the home at 2011 Old Furnace Road became empty and the church voted to establish a missionary home. This home was dedicated in 1992 and called the Evelyn Henderson Missionary Home.

At Homecoming in June 2003, a new two-story addition, with Preschool, kindergarten, children and Adult space was dedicated.  Also on the first floor was the dining hall and kitchen, which could serve up to 700, and the church media center.  Elevators were installed in the Atrium and outside the Sanctuary area.

Dr. Hank Williams became Pastor in September 2004.